The head coach of the national U-20 team, Jimmy Cobblah, says he is yet to get the green light from the authorities to commence preparations towards their final 2019 Africa Youth Championship qualifier at home against Benin on Friday.
Coach Cobblah said despite being aware that there was approval for the Black Satellites to honour their international assignment, he was still waiting for word on when to resume camping in preparation for the first leg encounter against the Beninois at home.
In an interview with the Graphic Sports, coach Cobblah noted that he was ready to get the team in shape should the directive be given for him to commence preparations.
“We are hearing that we can work on the national teams but I am yet to receive a formal information to begin camping for our crucial game with Benin.
“It is unclear when to begin preparation as we have barely a week to prepare for the game which will determine whether we play in the next edition of the Africa Youth Championship,” he said.
The Satellites have barely a week to prepare for their final two-legged qualifying tie against Benin, having been out of action since government placed an injunction on all football activities in the country following an expose by Anas Aremeyaw Anas on corruption in the local game.
However, a highly-placed source has told this paper that the Satellites have been holding non-residential training at the University of Ghana at Legon under the guidance of coach Cobbinah as he looks to get his players fit for the game.
The source also said it was likely the Satellites would move to camp in Cape Coast today to prepare for the game.
Ghana football has been brought to a standstill since June 8, two days after the premiering of a documentary by investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, which sought to expose corruption in Ghana football.
The government in reaction, secured a court injunction on all football activities with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) Secretariat at Ridge in Accra declared a crime scene and shut down by the police for investigations.
The national teams were given a reprieve last week after a meeting in Zurich between football’s world governing body, FIFA, and a delegation representing the Ghana government, during which it was agreed that the national teams be allowed to prepare and participate in their respective international assignments.
Subsequently, Dr Kofi Amoah and Francis Oti-Akenten were named as the liaison team to supervise Ghana’s participation in the international competitions.